Thursday, November 05, 2009

On being open-minded, or trying to

A friend wrote me to say:
I love you man, but some of the people you have in your corner are about as far removed from reality as can be possible. I know you and I have had many discussions in the past on numerous topics and I respect your intellect and ability to be open to new ideas and concepts. However, the views that are being espoused by your followers are lacking the foresight and lucidity I've grown to expect from you and your arguments.

This troubles me. I don't think you fit in with this crowd. You are too tolerant, open, and richer in life experiences.

Your thoughts welcome.

I replied:

I make a point of continually exposing myself to (oops, that sounds wrong -- try "reading and listening to") very different viewpoints.  It is extremely easy to tune in to folks who mostly agree with me, and then I start to be unable to perceive the world view of others.

Once we start to pick and choose our "facts" and data based on how well they agree with what we already believe, we build mental echo-chambers where we only hear our own conclusions.

For me the antidote is to always listen to folks on many sides, always try to understand how their world view has internal consistency, and resist the temptation to write them off as fools, knaves, etc.

When I find myself dismissing anybody as being "removed from reality" that's a warning sign that I'm starting to fall into that trap.  It often happens when I either mistaken (or I admit sometimes deliberately) mis-understand someone's position, and then I find it emotionally rewarding to pretend that that's their actual position.  The more absurd I make them in my head, the easier it is to dismiss them, rather than face the daunting task of refuting them on the merits.

True tolerance is not for sissies, nor is it for the lazy.  Maybe it's Sisyphean.  Let's just say, that's how I roll. ;-)

No comments: