What I love about the article, and about Obama, is that he's doing what I loved him for during the race -- being noble, taking the high road, and opening the door to mutual understanding. It's awesome.
Obama could yet tack to the middle, get 80% of his agenda through Congress in his first year in office, and become a legendary President. (I hope he doesn't because I oppose most of that 80% -- I'm talking about what's possible, not what I prefer.)
When you mis-state your opponent's motives, you make it almost impossible to persuade him. That's why I've loved the anti-town-hall, anti-tea-party rhetoric -- it's utterly condescending and dismissive, which hardens the opposition.
Surveys consistently show much higher levels of racism by white Democrats than white Republicans, which is why I'm not worrying about racism as a driving force within the Tea Party movement. (I stay alert to be sure closet racists do not try to join any groups I'm in.) My opposition to several of Obama's policies is based on opposing those policies.
You'll recall how frantic the Democratic Party operatives were, running up to the 2008 general election, about visiting blue-collar heavily Democratic districts, giving speeches and disseminating talking points through the unions to urge THOSE voters to vote for Obama even though he was black.
Democrats had good reason to worry.
http://falconscrest.blogspot.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/
http://hangrightpolitics.com/
http://hangrightpolitics.com/
http://www.realclearpolitics.
http://www.lifelikepundits.
No comments:
Post a Comment