Thursday, December 11, 2008

Asking for a Testimonial

There are times when your customer is so happy, they seem to be looking for extra ways to help you. When that happens, ask them for a written testimonial. Do it in email or in a printed letter.

When I get their response, I'll rewrite their answer a bit and ask for their approval of the rewrite. Other times I'll write a draft testimonial based on the verbal praise they've already given me. I always make it clear in such cases that I want it to only say things they agree with and believe enthusiastically.

Here's a letter I sent recently. I was responding to some very strong praise I'd gotten from my client in email. Note that I simply ask for a testimonial, and offer an outline -- actually, two outlines -- for structuring the response. (This is enormously helpful to the person responding and increases both the likelihood of a positive answer and improves the quality of their response.)
Since you're being so sweet, let me ask you for a testimonial. The structure of a testimonial is often this (adapted from Kent Blumberg):
  • Who are you (i.e. in what way can the reader identify with you)?

  • Why did you decide to use us?
  • What were your expectations, and how well did we meet them?
  • What benefits did you get from working with us? (Please be as specific as you can.)
  • Who should consider using us?
Here's a different outline (from Veronika Noize):
  • First, why did you decide that the time was right to work with me? What situation or event prompted you to seek my help?
  • Second, what specifically did we do together that resolved or improved that situation?
  • And finally, what was the end result or outcome of our work together? How did you know that our work was successful?
Thank you kindly.
-Tom
That's all it took. You can do it too. And you should.

No comments: